Monday, April 15, 2013

Canada, eh?

April showers bring May flowers...except in Minnesota.

It's another dreary and snowy day here in the Land of 10,000 lakes...a more fitting name would be "The Land where it never stops snowing!"

Oh well, I am slowly learning to be thankful in all things, even in the midst of never-melting snow and constant cold.

The Lord is still good even when the weather is not. :)

Anyway, the whole point of this post is to inform the world of the goings on in my life. I am three weeks away from being done with my first year of college. It's crazy how quickly time has flown this year. I started out last fall feeling like I would be in Minnesota trying to get my degree for eternity. But four years has somehow managed to turn into three, and I have to say that I am really okay with that. Freshmen year has been challenging to say the least. It all started with me switching from YWAM to BCOM. This last fall I encountered a new ministry, a new set of rules, values, expectations, faces, relationships and classes. EVERYTHING that could be different was. Everything has been new this year. New is good, but it's also hard. It means growing and relearning, and reevaluating the way that I've done things in the past.
I'm also learning so many new things about myself and about God. I've really seen Jesus in a different way this year. It's been really cool and really good. God has been incredibly faithful during this new season of my life. He's been so patient and gentle with me and I think that's exactly what I've needed during these past months. It's been a season where I have felt particularly weak and helpless, but it's been so beautiful! In my weakness Jesus is made strong. He's my strong tower and I'm really aware of how much I need His strength. As the school year comes to a close I am beginning to prepare for the next page in my chapter here at Bethany.

In three weeks I am going to be embarking on a new journey...to Canada.
Actually, I'm going to Mishkeegogamong Ojibway Nation to be exact. This is located out in the middle of nowhere Ontario. Me along with 9 of my fellow BCOMers are going to be ministering at a Native reservation there.

The Native Americans in Canada are often a people group who are overlooked and forgotten about. Thankfully we serve a God who will go out of His way for even one lost sheep. Jesus is radically pursing the Ojibway people! The primary focus of our trip will be toward helping single mothers and loving on their children. Alcoholism is very prominent there and has resulted in a lot of fatherlessness. There is a great need for the love of Jesus in this community and I am excited our team gets to partner with the Lord to see Him change the lives of these precious people.
Three weeks is coming up fast and I know my team and I would appreciate as much prayer as possible.

Some prayer requests are:


  • Continued financial provision for my team
  • That the hearts of the Ojibway people would be open to the love of Jesus and the Gospel
  • Team unity
  • Safe travels as we make the 12 hour car ride up there
  • Supernatural boldness

I am so thankful for this opportunity to serve and love in Canada! I am also thankful for all of the supporters and prayer warriors in my life. You all are so awesome and I have been incredibly blessed by you! You are in my prayers and I'm excited to share with you everything that God does in the coming weeks.

Kate Couey

No comments:

Post a Comment